Thursday, August 10, 2017

FREE LANGUAGE ARTS LESSON - “ 'I Am' Poem FREE”

by HappyEdugator
1st - 8th Grade


FREE "I Am" Poem - Beginning of the Year or End of the Year Writing Activity. Get to know your students at the beginning of the year (or anytime) with this fun writing activity. Younger students can fill in with words with teacher assistance. I have my middle school students put a phrase on each line, such as "I am the pen that is mightier than the sword," developing metaphors with the ideas.
My students, even my special needs children, had a great time with this. We also did this in conjunction with reading a nonfiction article about Malala Yousafzai, the girl who was shot by the Taliban. At the time, many children of the world held up signs saying, "I am Malala." and we discussed how the pen can be mightier than the sword. Then we watched her speech to the U.N. It was a very powerful activity. Younger students can color the "I Am" and draw a "self portrait" underneath. Hang on to the poems, and then have your students write another I Am poem at the end of the year and see if anything has changed. 
Have a great year! 

You may also like:

Poetry Activity for A Remarkable Adventure by J. Prelutsky – 3 pages PDF

Poetry BUNDLE 

©2014, 2017 HappyEdugator. This product is the intellectual property of Deborah Hayes aka HappyEdugator. This material is protected under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.





Join The Best of Teacher Entrepreneurs Marketing Cooperative at
http://www.thebestofteacherentrepreneursmarketingcooperative.com/2014/01/the-best-of-teacher-entrepreneurs.html
and get THOUSANDS OF PAGE VIEWS for your TpT products!


Go to http://www.pinterest.com/TheBestofTPT/ for even more free products!






No comments:

Post a Comment